There comes a time in every soul’s journey that they begin to feel the pull to spiritually awaken. What does it mean to spiritually awaken? Many things…here are a few:
- You begin to identify less with your human ego self and more with the eternal, indestructible soul aspect of yourself, and then finally, as pure consciousness itself.
- As a result of this re-identification, many subtle fears subside, such as the fear of death and what others think of you.
- The worries and frustrations of the world release their grip on you and are replaced with a deep sense of well being, a knowing that all is well under the surface, in a “more permanent and true” reality that you could never truly be separate from.
- Your mind becomes more easily anchored in the present moment, rather than pulled into the past and future of the mind.
When the student is ready, the teacher appears
There are many teachers these days who help people to awaken: Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, Burt Harding, Gangaji…there are multiple teachers, and each one has their own flavor. One of my favorite teachers of awakening is Leonard Jacobson. He is now living in the Twin Cities metro and is a valuable resource for those on the awakening path. When he is in town and not teaching in another state or country, he gives talks every other Sunday in Wayzata, MN.
I want to share a video below of Leonard teaching which reflects his unique style. It came in a recent newsletter as well as some words that introduce his talk. Please enjoy!
“Leonard begins this talk by emphasizing how simple it is to be present, yet many of us still remain imprisoned within the mind, and lost in the dream. He explains what is necessary for true awakening to occur and reveals how to overcome the resistance of the ego.
Awakening is about liberating yourself from the past and future world of the mind and from endless thoughts that never stop. It is about liberating yourself from the illusion of separation, into the truth of life, which is revealed through this moment.
The only moment that is ever really available to us is this moment.
As you become more grounded in the present moment, everything begins to change – you know the truth is here now; the truth is you, present with what is here in this moment.
When you are present, your mind is silent. There is no conflict, fear or desire. You are just here, present with what is here.”
Surrendering the Dream
This webcast was originally recorded at a live Evening Teaching in La Selva Beach, CA, February 19, 2013 – 71 minutes
Leonard Jacobson’s other topics include
- The ego will never awaken; good news for the ego
- Right relationship with difficult feelings
- Being present as we move through life
- Bringing consciousness to all the ways we are pulled out of Presence
- The reasons why many people don’t want to be present
- The Soul’s deepest longing
- Getting in touch with your feelings
- Retreating into silence and re-emerging into the world
- A new model for awakening
- You are a Buddha in this moment